First SGA, then the World

I spent last weekend with Laurel Lemon ’11. Among the millions of things Laurel did while she was a student at Bryn Mawr, was to serve as SGA treasurer.

We were taking a road trip through New England (we covered New York, Massachusetts and Vermont on Sunday afternoon), when she said that one of the things that most prepared her for her current job in the business field was her experience with SGA.

I was surprised. Laurel wrote an awesome thesis, served as the student rep to the 125th anniversary celebration, can cook like no body’s business, and it was her SGA experience that she found herself reflecting on everyday?

I’ve been involved with SGA, either directly or on the periphery, since my freshmen year. I haven’t missed a single Sunday night meeting since second semester of my freshmen year. I’ve volunteered at Plenary. I covered SGA extensively for the Bi-Co for three semesters. And now I run SGA elections.

And after my conversation with Laurel, I’ve been reflecting a lot on what I’ve learned from all that experience. My conclusion: SGA has taught me how to interact with big groups, especially when everyone holds a leadership position.

The Assembly consists of something like 30 members, all of whom hold leadership positions. Dorm Presidents. Social Committee Heads. Athletic Association President. That’s a lot of cooks in the kitchen. And we all have to learn how to negotiate that territory.

Those are valuable skills. So Laurel was right. I’ve taken a lot away from SGA.